The cleanliness and organization of your closet play an important role in the life of your clothes. Here are 10 tips to be sure your closet is working for you: Clean your closet. Dust mites, including moth sacs, are in many closets. You can’t see them but moths like to lay eggs in wool, silk and fur garments that have not been disturbed for awhile. Don’t put wet or damp clothes or shoes in the closet, as this promotes mildew.... View Article
Direct exposure to sunlight or artificial lighting is dangerous to fabrics. Since many dyes are sensitive to prolonged exposure to light, colors can fade to lighter shades and even white clothing can fade to yellow. In some cases, light fading occurs on only one side of the fabric or where an edge is exposed to a light source. On some fabrics, such as silk, fading can occur in a relatively short time. While clothes should be removed from the poly... View Article
Learn what clothing care labels mean with Arthur Anton, Jr.
Learn how to pack a suitcase with Arthur Anton, Jr.
New Year's Clothing Care Resolutions I will:
- Follow clothing care instructions and will not remove clothing care labels.
- Air out my clothes, remove all jewelry or pins, empty pockets and inspect for stains before putting them away.
- Keep hair spray, perfume and lotions away from coming in contact with my clothes, as they can cause stains.
- Immediately blot, not rub stains and treat them quickly and properly, so they don't set permanently.
- Clean matching sets, such as suits and sweaters, at the same time to maintain color consistency.
- Repair small problems, such as a loose seam opening, right away.
- Avoid crowding clothes in my closet, so they do not wrinkle unnecessarily.
- Use good quality hangers to support my clothes and keep them in shape.
- Fold knits and place in a drawer or on a shelf.
- Remove my clothes from the plastic bags from the drycleaner as they can trap moisture and cause damage.
- Clean my seasonal clothing before storing, so the insects won't have a feast.
- Store my seasonal clothes in an area with proper air ventilation, moisture control and light exposure.
- Recycle wire hangers and plastic bags at Anton's recycling center.