A luxurious fiber, cashmere doesn’t need to be high maintenance if you wear and care for it properly. Here are five tips to consider when preserving these high-end sweaters.
- Make sure you know what you’re caring for. Due to a popularization of cashmere in the past few years, we have seen an influx of substandard product on the market. For this reason, you should purchase your sweaters from a reputable company and check the label to ensure it is 100% cashmere.
- Don’t spray yourself with perfume while wearing cashmere because it will eventually discolor the garment.
- Extra yarn usually comes with a good cashmere purchase and it should be saved.
- Fold sweaters with tissue and store flat in a drawer or on a closet shelf.
- If the sweater is stained, have it dry cleaned as soon as possible so stains don’t set.
See more Garment Care tips »
Most people who choose to live in New England do so because they enjoy the changing seasons. Unfortunately, winter weather conditions can be harmful to our clothing. As snow starts to fall, we often use salt as a way to keep roads, sidewalks, and driveways from icing up.
Salt is an abrasive substance, it is important to promptly care for your salt stained clothing. Salt can harm our clothing by fading color, leaving rings, and permanently staining clothing and footwear.
Salt Stains on Clothing:
The best way to get salt stains off of clothing is to treat it as soon as possible with warm water. Blot the area with a clean damp cloth. If the salt has already dried, you can also try brushing it off with a soft brush. You must be careful not to work the salt deeper into your clothes. If the fabric is delicate, or the stain does not come out, bring your clothing to a reputable dry cleaner.
Salt Stains on Leather:
It is a good idea to pretreat leather clothing and shoes that could be exposed to salt. Salt can really damage leather. Wipe off all salt with a damp, clean cloth as soon as possible, then blot dry. Suede products can also be cleaned with warm water, but should be blotted until completely dry and brushed in a circular motion with a clean soft towel.
If you don’t feel comfortable cleaning the salt off of your clothing, or are having a difficult time – bring it to one of Anton’s Cleaners 43 locations. Point out any stains to your customer service representative and we will be happy to clean the garment for you.
Looking to clean your suede UGGs but don’t know how? Anton’s Cleaners offers cleaning for your UGGs to keep them looking new all season.
Here are a few tips that can help extend the life of your suit:
- Make space in your wardrobe to allow your suit jackets to hang nicely without creasing.
- Use a good wooden hanger to store your suit. A cedar wood hanger will also work as a repellant for predators, such as moths, and absorb moisture.
- Refrain from forcefully rubbing on stains or dirt, as this could embed it into the fabric.
- Don’t overload your pockets, it will strain the seams.
- To limit the amount of pull on the fabric of your suit, unbutton your jacket and slightly pull up your pants/skirt when sitting down.
- Use a clothes brush to brush the suit after wearing. This will help remove dirt and lint buildup and rejuvenate the wool, preventing it from shining.
- If the weather is rainy or humid, wait 24 hours before hanging your suit in the closet. This will help dry up any moisture.
- To ensure color consistency, clean all of the pieces of your suit at the same time.
- Be conscious of how you carry a briefcase, purse, or backpack, as the weight can cause the fabric of your suit to shine and distort the shoulder pad area
See more Garment Care tips »