Here are a few simple tips on how to properly care for your favorite coat:
- When cleaning your coat, follow the care label for the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Be sure to immediately treat any stains by blotting the stain (never rub the stain). The longer dirt or stains sit on the fabric of your coat, the more difficult it will be to remove.
- If you regularly wear perfume or hair spray, be sure to apply before putting on your coat, as these products may be harmful and stain the coat.
- To prevent staining on the collar from make-up and natural oils in your hair and skin, wear a scarf.
- Avoid carrying shoulder bags that are heavy or dyed. Heavy bags can wear on the coat and dyes may leave visible stains.
- To help maintain its shape, hang your coat on a well-padded or sturdy wooden hanger.
- When checking your coat at an event, turn it inside out for hanging. This way, if anything spills or rubs off on your coat, the lining will bear the stain rather than the exterior.
- If your coat gets wet, hang it in a well-ventilated area to let it air dry
- When taking your coat to a dry cleaner, point out any dirt and oil stains you have noticed on the on the collar or cuffs.