Here are a few tips that can help extend the life of your suit:
- Make space in your wardrobe to allow your suit jackets to hang nicely without creasing.
- Use a good wooden hanger to store your suit. A cedar wood hanger will also work as a repellant for predators, such as moths, and absorb moisture.
- Refrain from forcefully rubbing on stains or dirt, as this could embed it into the fabric.
- Don’t overload your pockets, it will strain the seams.
- To limit the amount of pull on the fabric of your suit, unbutton your jacket and slightly pull up your pants/skirt when sitting down.
- Use a clothes brush to brush the suit after wearing. This will help remove dirt and lint buildup and rejuvenate the wool, preventing it from shining.
- If the weather is rainy or humid, wait 24 hours before hanging your suit in the closet. This will help dry up any moisture.
- To ensure color consistency, clean all of the pieces of your suit at the same time.
- Be conscious of how you carry a briefcase, purse, or backpack, as the weight can cause the fabric of your suit to shine and distort the shoulder pad area